Thursday 25 April 2013

THE END- Sabhat Khan

Well , hello there dear reader. I'm sad to say that this is my fourth and final blog. However, I'm so glad I've got something pretty cool (for me) to blog about. This blog is going to be about our performance at the Neilson Creative Arts Centre.  So let's get started!

To me, the entire process felt like a DDM project. We were split into groups (my group consisted of Tashifa, Debbie, Rashawn, and I). We created the last poem (which was performed by Debbie, Harsimran, and Baarath-and spoken by Baseer and Shazi). I felt the poem was truly powerful. Also, at the end of the performance we say the last line of the poem as the performers start leaving the semi circle and walking forward. The unity I sensed at that moment was powerful and serene to me.

Now, let me talk about rehearsals. We had one run through with Mrs. Walton in which she payed attention to little details. We got stopped a million times, but it's okay. I was totally not disheartened, I took it as "I get to perform even more!" We finally started getting things together, and after that one rehearsal, most of my rehearsals (with Sion and Jaeden) were pretty good! Then we had some rehearsals on the stage with all three of the classes. I was so annoyed because I had to be turned around and I couldn't see people's performances, which I really wanted to see.  Abdul and I kept on bumping into each other during the transition, but it all worked out in the end.

Once we arrived, I met a lady, and I talked to her about how I enjoy spoken word. She then replied, telling me that she did spoken word! Later that evening she dedicated an extremely amazing spoken word to our school, that truly left me touched. Her name was Andrea Thompson (I think). While we were waiting for Mrs. Orzsulik's class (and some of Mrs.Walton's class), our class ran through our performance a few times. I wasn't too nervous to be honest, but Abdul was constantly trying to freak me out and get me nervous. His attempt's failed! Take that, Abdul!

Now, here's comes the personal part. The part of me, my performance, and how I did. This is really a matter of opinion, and I couldn't even see myself, but here goes. I wasn't really nervous up until the second when I heard "No one should be discriminated against because of religion, gender...etc." That was our transitional phase. The poem I performed to, was based on this. As I twirled on stage, all I hoped was to give my all.  I wouldn't call myself a perfectionist, but I get so disappointed when everything goes perfect until I make one tiny thing go wrong. Then, all the awesomeness, washes away (for me), and I get upset about that one thing. Not a good quality of mine, it makes me too harsh on myself. As the first few words came out of Adrian/ Mingwei's mouth, the movements came out of my hands. It was almost natural, like a second nature. I didn't know that I enjoyed performing so much. I glanced at Sion and Jaeden occasionally, I'm sure they glanced at me to.  The pressure of wanting to be unified, to meet the standards we had set for ourselves, left us all trying to do everything we could to make it memorable. I often mess up, but I don't think I did. Of us movers (Sion, Jaeden, and I), I most definitely couldn't pick who was "the best."

I'm proud of myself. It's just one line, where Mingwei says "Whether black or white it doesn't matter," I am on floor during the line prior to this, so I have to make a swift, yet elegant, leap into the middle to be able to do the moves in time. This section is where we all have to be perfectly in sync. During the rehearsals, Mingwei usually didn't pause for long enough, and I would just barely swoop in. During the actual presentation, the space was bigger, therefore I had to jump farther, and I think I was a bit late. I wasn't too disappointed  however, because I doubt that someone actually noticed (maybe they did, but I don't think they cared). I would've been truly upset with myself, if I had forgotten a move. Although, I'm pretty good with improvise, if I forgot a move, I would keep replaying the scene afterwards.  I would do this in my mind's paranoid audience perspective. This would make me feel like the situation was a lot worse that it really was. All in all, I was truly satisfied with my performance.

The overall performance, made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Is that weird? Let me just say, that, once we got out of the performance space everyone started doing their own little grooves, like a really odd Harlem Shake. I can't even express how happy that made me. We were all comfortably dancing oddly to express our happiness and how well we'd done. It was a gesture that was passed through all of us. It truly touched my heart, the smiles on everyone's face brought me pleasure. This may sound sappy, but that moment was golden, more valuable than anything else that happened that night. No one looked angry with themselves, not even me (that's a first)! It was mutual happiness. I liked that. I know my previous sentence was only three words, but I'm at a loss for words, and those three words are the truth. I was so happy as I heard all the words from the lips of each different speaker tie in, into this massive wave of words. Words that otherwise might have not been said. Words, that, I'm ever so glad to have heard. I really wish I could have watched the movers. I restrained myself though, I had to be loyal to Ms.Walton. I promised I would restrain myself, and I had to fight my urges to turn my head, even a little, just to see. Wow...I'm more curious than I thought.

Here's our poem (we had the longest one):

We Declare...Everyone is equal despite differences in skin colour, sex, religion, and language...

You may be black, you may be white,
You may not speak English but you can still fight.
Boy or girl, day or night,
Doesn't matter when you still have rights.

What you believe isn't the fact,
It's not how you speak- it's just how you act.
Being treated equally matters much more,
Differences should be what we celebrate and adore.

I want to live like an equal.
Racism should not be the sequel.
I may be a female,
But that doesn't mean that I'm for sale.

Whether black or white, it doesn't matter,
Don't discriminate, don't make me sadder.
Just because someone may side with Christianity,
Does not mean they have excessive amounts of vanity.


Well, this blog got a bit long. The thing is, the entire story (Creativity Rocks) could be looked at like a fairytale.  From the preparation for the ball, to the anxiety of losing a slipper (my shoes actually did almost come off-it was frightening), to the lovely (and often sappy) ending. I guess that night, that little dance party we had, the smiles, the relief, is truly worthy of a fairytale reference. However, every great story has to come to an end.  I guess this is ours, and as much as it pains me to say, I must say it anyways, but, this...is...

THE END

Happily ever after everyone! ;)

Here are some pictures from the event :

Us playing Ninja. We're cool like that. 













Rashawn, Chelsea, and Iqbal, performing. our performance is next!



The End! Had to end the blog off with smiles. Oh look! We're all black and white! Fancy, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment