Thursday 25 April 2013

'Crazy Art Adventures with Chelsea" Entry #4 - The Grand Finale!



                **AHEM** Welcome to my final blog, entitled "Crazy Art Adventures with Chelsea Entry #4- The Grand Finale!". So today, instead of blogging about specific artwork, I'll be talking about the program I've participated in called "Creativity Rocks!" (which is why I started this blog). I'd like to start by saying that this was the first time I've participated in such a program, and it was not at all what I expected! I'm not sure if it was better or worse (in the middle, maybe?), but I did enjoy many parts of it. We started the program in November, ultimately leading up to our recent performance at the Neilson Park Creative Art Centre in April. Our performance consisted of spoken word pieces, dance/movement, and the display of the original artwork that we created in November. But before I get into the performance side of things, I should talk a bit about the planning process.

                The first thing we jumped into doing was writing spoken word pieces in groups. Each group chose a human right and wrote a couple of stanzas about it. My group chose the right that declares "Everyone is equal despite differences in skin colour, sex, religion, and language". We chose this right because we felt that it was one of the most powerful and important rights of them all. Today, many people are bullied or discriminated against for such factors, and it is important that we do not forget the right we have! We as a class put all of the stanzas into one strong spoken word piece called "We Declare...".  

                We were then assigned to choose whether we would like to be a speaker (someone who recites the poem) or a mover (someone who acts out the poem). I chose to be a mover, and worked with a group to create interpretative actions that suited our part of the spoken word piece. It was much easier than I thought it would be to create actions! One of my favourite actions went along with the line that stated " And if you're a women, then you should be treated the same as a man". We had one group member in the middle with his arms out, representing a scale. Myself and another group member were on opposite ends of his arms, pretending to be weights. We would make ourselves appear taller and shorter with the movement of the scale, concluding with us both at the same level, representing equal treatment! Being a person who loves dance, it was fun to create actions like these - it was like dancing with words as the music! Of course, every dance has to take some practice. Practicing as a class was intense and every movement had to be precise! We even had to collaborate with the speakers on the timing of the words at which we would perform movement to. We eventually began to practice with other classes, and intertwined our smaller presentations into one large presentation, with the powerful overall theme of human rights.

                Walking into the Neilson Park Creative Art Centre and seeing my picture on the wall was a nice feeling. A warm and fuzzy feeling, I should say. Just like fuzzy pajamas. I like fuzzy pajamas. Anyways, we immediately started to practice in the performing area. Being in a somewhat new space, I found it pretty difficult to adapt to! For me, the hardest part was finding the centre of the space, and making sure I stood there when necessary! After practicing a few times, I got the hang of it and did my part without any thought. Like a mindless zombie. Who has really curly hair.
                To me, performing at the event held at the Neilson Park Creative Art Centre was interesting, but not...  cómo se dice.... special. I think that's an appropriate way to say it. We, as a class, have performed at many school-wide events to hundreds of people, so there was little courage taken to get on the stage. Maybe I only feel so because I didn't take many risks in the actual performance - I didn't put myself out there! I should have tried something new! When I look back at the planning process, I really regret not doing so. But more to the point, I feel that overall, the performance went well and we got an excellent response from the audience! I'm so proud of us all!

                As mentioned above, this is my fourth and final blog. Thank you so much for giving up your time to read my entries - it really means a lot! Before I started blogging, I didn't think I would have the courage to post my weird and crazy opinions online, but the Creativity Rocks program and the support of people like you have really changed that! Unfortunately, this is the end of the road for us, my friend. There's no easy way for me to say this, so I'm just going to say it like it is - it's over. I'm sorry, but I have to go now. Don't get me wrong - it's not you, it's me. I just can't do this anymore. Hey, we can always be internet friends! Maybe one day we'll look back at this whole experience and laugh. But right now you got to move on. You should probably go for a walk and find some real friends or something - you spend too much time on the internet anyways. Hey, maybe over time you'll start seeing other blogs, you know? You just have to understand that I'm a different person now. We need a break from seeing each other. But hey - it's been a good run. I'll miss you. Goodbye friend, and good fortune to you.



                For the final time, this is Chelsea Santoo, saying have a scrumdiddlyumptious day.  :')   Happy teardrop.





                Do you feel really sad? I feel really sad. That ending really brought the mood down, maybe I shouldn't have said some of that stuff. No, I'm kidding - WE ARE NEVER, EVER, EVER GETTING BACK TOGETHER. But here's a link that will lead you to some complimentary pictures of the event that you can remember me by:



No comments:

Post a Comment