Thursday 25 April 2013

A Farewell to All - Joshua Guinness


“Phew, what a night” I said to myself as I got into bed. “This will be a night to remember,” I said following asleep.

 
The first Chapter of this “project”, I guess for me, first started when our class went to the Neilson Creative Centre to make artwork. I never even knew we were part of something bigger until much later. The next thing I know, Ina comes in and we talked about human rights. This, at the time, made absolutely no sense. I wondered to myself the whole period what we were doing. Later that day I asked my teacher and he said that we were part of this project with Arts Smarts, and we were going to create a dramatic presentation. This soon faded from my memory, and I kind of wondered whether this was just one of those things that teachers plan on doing, but never ended up doing. At this time we also started blogging, but I thought nothing of it, I just thought that we were doing it as part of our L.A. Unit. This time period was shrouded in confusion, constantly wondering what was going on. After a few months of nothing happening, one Integrated Arts class, we made poems, about human rights, she told us that some people would be speaking, and others preforming. I, of course, signed up for preforming. I'd much rather move, then talk. This was the start of the second chapter.

 
We were put into groups, assigned with creating a dance like presentation with one of the poems a group made up. The poem that we got, to me personally is really strong and speaks a very vibrant message about what life is like in other countries. I try to imagine living in a country where if you are a certain religion, culture, skin colour, other, you will not get a fair trial. I think this is really sad and something should be done to stop it. The poem went like this:

I declare.... Everyone has the right to a fair and public trial.
Accused of a crime I didn't do
Just standing there when the guns went pew
Walked down the aisle in an orange jumpsuit
Had to follow orders of they'd shoot
 
All I needed was a chance
Decided guilty at a glance
They can't play fair if only they knew
I was accused of a crime I didn't do

At first, coming up with a dance was EXTREMELY challenging. It was easy to think of dance moves to do for the different lines, but all the moves were way to literal and it made the whole thing look really bad. So we kept on taking stuff away, and adding things, until after one hour, we only had one line. Our group felt really discouraged when we only had one line, when some other groups had it almost completely done. But we kept on working at it and soon it all came together amazingly. I would say that the main thing I learned from this is that is that whenever you are stuck or need help, broaden your horizon, and think outside of the box. This allowed me, and my group to think about things we never would have thought of if we were thinking black and white. My group was also really amazing. They were Tien, Abdul, and Tashifa. They were all really nice, supportive, and all of them offered insightful comments and observations making out presentation that much better. They were really fun! Onto chapter 3.

 
After our class was all practised up, we got together with the other classes and practised. This was my least favourite part of the process, and I am sorry to admit, but it was BORING. A) I sat there, stood there, for who knows how long. B) I was not even allowed to turn around for one practice run to see the other groups. In the practising we got to know exact positions, movement, and what will be happening in the real thing. Its good we had someone directing us, because if no one did, it would be madness.

 
In Chapter 6 we are at the Neilson Creative Centre, ready for our presentation. With Pizza and cookies in our stomachs (I am sure a whole lot more in Mingwei's), our energy let out by running, rolling and fooling around outside, (it kind of looked like everyone was high) we were ready to do our best in the presentation. I know it is really strange, but I was not nervous about the presentation at all. I was very relaxed, totally ready, not stressed at all. I think what made it this way are two things. 1) The number of times we practised (a whole lot). 2) The fact that there was not a lot of people there, something that I am actually surprised about. I definitely expected more people. I will admit that I did get a little nervous during the presentation, especially right when I was about to do my dance. But other than a little jitters, I was fine. I think one of the coolest parts of the evening was when Andrea Thompson presented her spoken word. When she presented there was such authority in her voice that it was kind of like “Wow.” You definitely want to listen. The spoken word really inspired me and spoke to me personally saying “You can make something like this.” Here is a quote from my mom regarding the spoken word, I also feel the same way.

The poet was fantastic, her spoken word was creative, informative, and engaging. She connected with the students well and encouraged you and empowered you to keep on writing” - Cheryl Guinness

Even though her spoken word was amazing, I probably will not write spoken words in my spare time, nor keep a journal or find a writing group. Doing that is just not my thing, not something I really enjoy. I was really hoping to do a spoken word unit in DDM class, but our class voted Shakespeare, which I guess can still be fun. Overall the presentation was really great, really strong and powerful. I think it was a cool opportunity to get together, with some class mates and make a dance, something that I don't get to do often but would like to. I left the Art Centre that evening thinking “After all that, its finally done.”

 
Chapter 7 = feedback. I think that the process and the opportunity to participate in the project was really cool and I am glad to be a part of it. Though the one thing that really bothers me is the fact that the student body (me) was not informed about most of the project. I really did not even know we were part of a project until 3 months ago, maybe less. Also, North Kipling won an award!! Since when, and what for. I guarantee you that no students, besides those involved in the project, know that NK won an award. I think that it would be smart, and a good idea to inform the student body that we won an award, and what for. I also really did not understand the purpose of this project, why we did it, and for what? I think for next time, the participants should be more informed about the project so that they know more about what they are doing. Heh, maybe something amazing would come out of being informed.


Overall though the process and being part of a project was really cool and I think it would be something I would like to do again.

 
And so ends my 4th and final blog. Thanks to all, especially my teacher, Mr. Cornell for putting up with my long posts. I have OWD (Overnecessary Writing Disorder) making my friend (Abdul) and my posts really long. This blogging process has been fun, most of the time. And I am said to say goodbye. :-(



No comments:

Post a Comment