Monday 18 March 2013

"Crazy Art Adventures with Chelsea" Entry #3 - Alessia Duarte's Picture (Review)

Welcome to my third blog entry! Much like my last blog (see  http://crispywaffles.blogspot.ca/2013/03/crazy-art-adventures-with-chelsea-entry.html ), I'll be discussing the artwork of yet another grade 7 student, by the name of (drum roll, please)...  Alessia Duarte! Here's a photo of her awesome oil pastel drawing:

                Now I must say, when I first saw this picture, I made an immediate connection to a rock climbing wall! I'm unsure if that was the artist's intention, but to me, the round shapes are rocks that are dirty (the black smudges) from shoes stepping on them. When I was in grade 6, all of the grade 6 classes went on a trip to an indoor rock climbing centre called "Rock and Chalk". This is the experience I'm basing this connection off of. The walls were somewhat multi-coloured like your background, and there were several oddly shaped rocks, similar to the red triangular-shaped one in the top-right corner. In your picture, this triangular rock is not as dirty as the other rocks because it's extremely difficult to step on, making most scared people avoid it (like me)!

                Speaking of the "dirt", could you describe the technique that you used to make the black smudges on the "rocks"? Were they accidental smudges, a technique you had tested before, or something entirely new that you decided to try? Either way, I love the look of it! It reminds me of the technique I tried in my first drawing created at the Neilson Art Centre, where I used my finger to pull the pastel out/inwards. Mostly because I don't want to take attention away from your picture by putting it here, this is a link you can follow to see it (it's the first one):
http://crispywaffles.blogspot.ca/2013/01/neilson-art-centre.html

                I was wondering, what colour did you start with as a background colour? There are so many intensely layered colours that I have no clue what it could be, but I'd love to know. I believe you did the same program as me, so did you have a picture to look at as an inspiration? If so, did your background colour relate to this picture? How so? (so many so's!)

                To all my readers: no, I haven't forgot about you (yet)! "Beep beep! Question ahead!" said the magical Question Detector.

                So in my blog entry above, I related Alessia's abstract picture to my experience at Rock and Chalk (the indoor rock climbing place). What real life experience can you relate the picture to? When and where did it happen? Why does this specific picture make you think of such an experience? Let me know all about it in the comments below! I can't wait to hear from you again!

                Today's special shout out goes to the one and only artist herself, Alessia Duarte! You're a super creative artist who deserves more credit for such amazing pieces. Thanks for letting me review your picture! Keep on keepin' on (we're getting so 70's up in here...)!

                This was a groovy blog entry to write. Hope you enjoyed, and have a scrumdiddlyumptious day!  Peace!   (still keeping the 70's vibe...) 


P.S.        You still have time to enter my short story contest! Hurry and get your story posted in the comments section before April 1st! See the link for details:
http://crispywaffles.blogspot.ca/2013/03/crazy-art-adventures-with-chelsea-entry.html

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Chelsea the first colour I started with blue and then I just put colours that I thought were pretty ans the way that I made the black smudges the same way that you did it was fun because I just drawed I did not think I just had fun being me and I did not going rock climbing with you and the school but I did do it at my summer camp but I did not even thought that it looked a rock climbing way cool by the way I so smiling thanks for reading -Alessia Duarte

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very interesting to look at for me.
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete