Monday 18 March 2013

Abiraam's Picture, - Mingwei's Thoughts

           This picture to me is very interesting. I think that it opens up my imagination despite its plain appearance. I like how the first shape you made was the circle and you transformed it into a one eyed cyclops. (In my imagination) It appears to have three antennas sticking out of his or her head and 2 arms in a lifted position. I'm not sure if your intentions was to make a monster, but it clearly appears to be so in my eyes. One question that I would like to as is: Did you improvise this picture or not? I noticed that everything seemed to be made up on the spot, such as monster in the middle. I'm asking this because from my recount of the trip, I remember the first thing they told us to do was to draw a shape in the middle and it seemed like you just went on from there.

           Speaking of memories, I also would've liked to see the original painting that you drew your inspiration from. I imagine that the painting would've needed to be quite abstract and it's actually kind of fun wondering what traits of the painting was included in your drawing. If I were to make a prediction, it would have to be the red portion from the bottom, simply because it didn't quite fit. I think a destroyed city would've fit the monster theme quite nicely. Of course I'm not one to criticize, but I can imagine your story that fit into this painting. "Well, as you can see, it's a one eyed monster who has taken over the world and is now squirting cranberry juice from its armpits." That would indeed be quite hilarious at the sharing portion of the activity. I wonder what your original story behind this painting was and if my version was anywhere close to yours?


           All in all, I thought that this picture is a pretty good example of how less is more. By leaving the picture simple and having an unfinished look to it, it allows for good imagination to happen and can end up with people creating out of this world stories such as mines. It was definitely fun to wonder about how the story of the monster happened.

           As for your second picture, I like how you continued the monster theme. This time it seems that the monster is a floating triangular-shaped one. Again, it is simple and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. As I mentioned before, it opens up the imagination. I liked how you kept distinct traits of your first picture in your second one. The most obvious one is that this is another geometric monster.Another trait that was interesting that I didn't notice the first time looking at it is your eye in the first picture. It is still in the shape of an arc and I thought that was kind of neat. It also seems that this time, the eye is split into two colours: green and orange. I was wondering why you decided to do so instead of keeping the original orange one? Maybe because it was your second picture and you decided to have two colours, or maybe because you just felt like having two colours? Perhaps, I'll never know, but its always fun to imagine.

           Now, let's get to the actual picture. I think that the triangular shape of this monster is definitely a quirky thing. It would appear that this picture is more detailed than your last one. Perhaps it was because you  were drawing inspiration from yourself or maybe because this time you came in with the mindset of "I'm gonna draw another monster and it will be awesome." I would like to imagine the story for this one to be "This guy is the successor to the original monster. It has floating abilities and has arms with the properties of water. Its bottom half is multi-coloured to show its power. However he did get punched in the eye once, hence why he has a black eye now." Of course I wouldn't think that this is what you actually told your group but its what I'd like to think you said. Again I'm going back to this theme of less is more a lot but that is exactly what makes these pictures unique.

           My thoughts of your second picture were just as great as your first one. The monster theme was definitely what I liked about it and what made me chose your picture to review out of everyone else's. (Maybe because I liked King Kong as a kid?) These pictures might have looked random, but there is definitely a bigger meaning to it that I see. Great job!

No comments:

Post a Comment