Monday 18 March 2013

"Crazy Art Adventures with Chelsea" Entry #2 - Lisa Carnegie's Picture (Review)


                Hello friends, and welcome to my (Chelsea Santoo's) second blog! Instead of discussing my own artwork, today I will be discussing the artwork of a grade 7 student named Lisa Carnegie. Although many of my questions will be posed directly at the artist, don't feel left out! I'll be asking plenty of questions for you to answer too (don't forget to check out the end of my blog for a cool contest)! Here is a photo of Lisa's amazing oil-pastel drawing:


                Lisa  - I'd like to start off by saying that your picture was like a punch to the face (I mean that in the nicest way possible)! While many other drawings got lost in the massive sea of pictures that were posted, yours really stood out to me! Maybe it's because I really like Skittles! ...Or because I'm attracted to bright colours. And WOW - was that ever colourful!
                When I look at your vibrant drawing, my mind creates a related story about the scene. It starts off as a sunny Saturday day with clear blue skies. A young boy decides to go into his backyard and play alone. He takes a package of Skittles with him, as he is quite hungry. As the boy sits on the grass, he takes a bite of the first red Skittle and BAM! There is flash of light! The sky changes from a mild blue to a bright display of rainbow colours! Suddenly, much like an alien tractor beam, a rainbow forms, that ends surprisingly close to the boy! As he stares at the rainbow, the young boy stands up and says, "Skittles?".
                To the artist: does this picture have a story behind it, explaining it's context? If so, why choose to make a picture that tells a specific story, rather than leaving it more open-ended to the viewer? With that, I'd like to question my readers: what creative story can you make and tell when you look at the scene shown in the picture? Feel free to use your imagination, and take all details into consideration (for example, the texture of the green area at the bottom reminded me of grass, so I mentioned it in my story)!
                To end this blog entry, I'd like to direct your attention to an insignificant little detail that gives me a burning question: why is the person not wearing shoes? I personally think it is because his shoes are white, and his mother made him take them off because she did not want him to get grass stains on them. That may be my opinion, but I see this as a challenge to both the artist, and my readers! Check out the contest details at the end of my blog for details!
                Today's  special shout out goes to the artist herself, Lisa Carnegie! Thank you for drawing such a fun picture - it was a blast to review. You're an excellent artist, so keep thinking, breathing, and creating! We are all artists, in our own unique ways.

That's all for now folks, have a scrumdiddlyumptious day!  :)

... But keep reading for details on a little contest I've set-up for you!


CONTEST DETAILS:
                In the comments section below, create and post a short story of why you think the person in Lisa's picture is not wearing shoes. On April 1st, I will choose what I think is the most creative story, and that person will win the title of "Best Creative Story-Teller  in the Blogosphere!". Make sure you post your short story BEFORE March 31st, 2013 at 11:59 A.M. or it will not be judged! Be creative, spontaneous, and original - there is no wrong answer! Good luck to all my fellow writers! 

13 comments:

  1. CONTEST EXTENSION:
    Due to the current lack of participants, I am extending the entry deadline to Friday, April 5, 2013 at 11:59 pm.So you better get writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Chelsea. The reason why he is not wearing shoes is because:

    He lives in the land of Skittlelandia ruled by "The Great Skittle." The prophecy is that if you find the end of the random you will encounter that great skittle (which is truly a prestigious thing).

    This curious child embarked on the journey to find the lord, and ends up finding him. He gets angry because he didn't get enough beauty sleep and cuts off the guys feet. He no longer has feet, and therefore has no need for shoes. He is now standing there, perplexed, as he realizes his feet have been cut off. He is now hungry for some skittles, that being the reason he says "Skittles?"

    In the end his feet are cut, he doesn't know the way home, the "Great Skittle" didn't get his beauty sleep, and no one got to eat skittles. And everyone lived angrily ever after.

    THE END :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you zoom in, or make the picture bigger, you can see small triangles; which can mean they are either feet, or shoes. They're not cut off.

      Delete
  3. I object. He is wearing shoes. They are those white triangles at the end of his pants. As defined by dictionary.com, a shoe is an external covering of the foot, and that white thing could be something on his foot. Only entrant so I'm bound to win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you disagree he isn't wearing shoes, then he could just not have any.

      OR

      In some cultures, people only wear shoes on special ocasions (e.g. a get-together) so him going there probably wasn't special.

      OR

      Ever heard of the phrase, "Knock your socks off?" He could just be so surprised he "knocked his shoes off."

      Delete
    2. Wait. How did Sabhat's get before mine, when I posted earlier? Disregard my saying the thing about being the only entrant

      Delete
  4. I think his feet are in the grass, or maybe his feet are the grass, or maybe his feet grew because of the rainbows magic so his giant feet are hidden in the grass and the tree is actually a part of his foot. The leaves could be toe jam that he had and it grew with his feet or something. I like Sabhats story but it's sad. He lost his feet, and no skittles. Perhaps he didn't touch the whole rainbow. Maybe he only touched green so his feet became huge and looks like grass and his toe is a tree. Because he only touched green, he didn't get skittles so he is wondering where they are. You know how the commercial goes. It says, "Touch the rainbow, taste the rainbow"(I think that is how it goes). In the end, i think his feet are there, but hidden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think his feet are hidden deep inside the grass,trying to get the gold that is scattered at the end of the rainbow (Or in this case, skittles). He is a shapeshifter, so he has the ability to contort his feet to become the ultimate skittle ruler~ After this he makes the skittle company. The skittles then beat Apple and take over the world (only second to the pillow company obviously). This company continues for hundreds of years. Finally, the rainbow runs out of skittles and the skittles company goes bankrupt (leaving the pillow company to rule them all!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ~Adrian

      Ps: late night stories are amazing

      Delete
  6. Time's up, and no stories posted after this comment will be accepted. Thanks to all to the entrants for submitting your short stories. They were all very creative! I am now in the process of judging and will be announcing the winner shortly. Good luck to all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And the winner of the title of "Best Creative Story-Teller in the Blogosphere!" is....

    SABHAT K.!

    I have to say it was such a difficult decision between Triple A and Sabhat K.... That's why I would like to make Triple A the runner-up! Congratulations! As I've said before, thank you to everyone who has participated - you made this a fun experience for both of us! Lots of love, and be sure to check out my new blog entry, which will be coming out soon. Have a scrumdiddlyumptious day!:)

    ReplyDelete