Thursday 20 December 2012

Sabhat's Neilson Art Center Experience


            Dear reader:
Before I begin my blog, I wanted to show you a little poem:

           Roses are red.
           Violets are blue,
           I went to an Art center,
           And you should too!

          You'll hear about my thoughts,
          And how it was for me,
          From a random idea to a masterpiece.
          Not all would agree,
          That I did quite well,
          But in my opinion, 
          My painting was swell.

          From imagination in air,
          to sitting in a chair,
          I had a great time,
          and then filled a questionnaire!

The rest is all below!

           One of our recent trips has been to the Neilson Art Center.  Before we had even gotten to the center, there was excitement. Someone even missed the TTC bus, but its okay, in the end we all made it.
When we arrived, we were told to grab some imagination from the air. Pretty weird, especially for skeptical 12 and 13 year olds (and trust me, a lot of us are very skeptical). I think the air imagination paid off in the end (and middle, and beginning) , because the paintings and discussions were amazing.
I would say, by far, one of the best parts would be sharing time. My painting was a bunch of patterns and colours ,and my sharing group actually turned my mess on paper (I’m saying that in the best way possible) into something that inspired my next drawing. They told me it was a birthday party. Our sharing group had such nice paintings and even nicer comments. There was a Bigfoot, aliens, octopus tentacles (which later turned into Mitch), a movie theater, a birthday party, a universe, a web of thoughts, people connected through lines, and so much more! 
I personally think that, the fact that we are able to create even the most random paintings and have them recognized by someone is amazing. It turns your work of art into an absolute story.  I was super surprised (and happy) when I was told (by Joshua) that the blue splat in the corner of my page was actually blue kool-aid that spilled at the party.  There was one paintings (by Saksham) of a movie theater. I had fun predicting the topic of the movie, but I did. The scene, colours, and overall  drawing reminded me of a horror movie! Trust me, I mean that in the best way possible. 
The bottom painting is my first and the top is my second.
I don't know if it's just me, but sometimes I feel a bit awkward as the people walk around looking at your painting. I just get stuck every time someone comes around to look at it, as if my ideas have stopped freezing. It only happens at the Art Center, I find that peculiar. 
I have been there four times now and it is truly amazing. I wonder though, how they choose the paintings that they display. How do they choose the arrangement and layout? Was building was originally constructed for the purpose of a museum or something else?
The best part of all, which I would absolutely never forget….were the…..COOKIES! I’m just kidding, the cookies can’t compare to my awesome sharing group who inspired my second painting.
All in all, it was fun, and I was very proud of the random scribbles I created on paper! I'm glad we were giving the opportunity to participate in the program. I'm also glad that I got to meet an artist. But then again,  there were artists all around me! My classmates!



14 comments:

  1. The poem is fantastic. Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I really like your poem and you artwork too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sabhat
    Thanks for your poem and pictures and appreciation of the program.
    You ask who chooses the shows in the Gallery. The Neilson Park Creative Centre has a different show every three weeks. There’s a Gallery Committee that selects shows from art groups and individual artists who apply to the Centre. The groups and artists pay a fee to rent the gallery. The building was constructed to be a centre for various community art groups to make their work and to display it to the public. There are various resident groups of painters, printmakers, and workers in fabric and weaving. We rent the space in the Centre for our programs. Some of our staff have had solo shows at the Gallery. And Milkweed Collective has given several group shows there.
    Austin
    Milkweed Collective

    ReplyDelete
  4. Which one is your first picture?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yo.

    Well to start of this comment/blog I would like to commend you on commenting on almost every single picture our class had made.

    To go in chronological order, let's start off with the poem, shall we? In my humble opinion it sums up the Neilson Art Centre and my experience there quite clearly.
    "From a random idea, to a masterpiece"
    That's how I look at my picture each time I see it.

    As you haven't given the title for either picture I can't comment too much on that. Your first picture shows splendid unity between the colours and lines. One comparison I can make between the first and second picture is how the "curtains"[If that's what you were trying to portray] look. In the first picture they are closed, while in the second picture they are open. This is just a speculation, but during my first picture I was much more closed about my artwork than my second one. It seems as though the same thing happened to you.

    In the second picture, your closeup of the birthday party exploded into a full blown view. I particularly enjoyed the little kid crying over the spilled Kool-aid. I'm sure the Birthday Party was a great blast.

    with Diligence,
    Saksham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I do feel that my painting is a masterpiece in its own "special" (as Mr. Cornell calls it) way.

      Upon reflection, I should've given the name for both of my pictures but to be honest, I have no recollection of what my pictures were called. i know I gave them a name though....oh well! I guess I'll call it "the-anything-you-wanna-call-it."

      I really didn't know what i was trying to portray, it was just a rectangle, but during the sharing group someone identified it as a curtain. My second picture was definitely more open/clear. The first one was just many patterns and colours (if you know me well enough you know I enjoy patterns/prints).

      When you say you enjoyed the kid crying, you sound a bit demented. Just kidding! That was probably my favourite part too! Ah children....so dramatic! Anyways, thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  6. Roses are red,
    violets are blue,
    your poem and blog was amazing,
    and now it's my turn too.

    Haha, but really,I thought it was a perfect way to start a comment,so I took your lead! Anyway, hello sabhat!I would like to comment on your blog.

    I'll start by saying how awesome your blog as! It was hilarious,and i mean that in the best way possible, and it was very intriguing. You clearly stated your thoughts on other peoples artworks, and your experience there. I inferred that your drawings all have a very light and happy mood.This leads to my next question, what was your very first inspirational picture? Was it also very colorful? Also, I inferred that your very first painting is quite different from your second, which was supposed to be inspired by your first one. That's why I want to ask you how you were inspired from your first drawing. Were you maybe trying to portray the colorfulness of your first painting?

    Now, I would like to answer your questions, but unfortunately, I don't know exactly, and I believe Mr.Clarkson already answered it for you.Because of this, I can only give you my own personal thinking.Personally, I thought that that the paintings were done by the staff there, since they are also painters. Finally, I thought that the building layout and location made it a perfect little art museum which people living close to it(because it was surrounded by a whole neighborhood)could easily visit on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments! I love your poem! :P My first painting (the one on the bottom) was inspired by a painting that was simple a gush of warm tones colours (with purple too). To me, it looked like someone was looking at it from bird eyeview while the there were multicolored soda bottles on a table and mentos were dropped in all of them together. There was A LOT of pink in that picture. Maybe, the whole soda thing, is the reason why I created that random blue splat.

      I know its hard to see the relation between my 2 pictures (it might not be that hard...I'm not really sure....), but the inspiration came from my sharing group. They told me each pattern/different part represented (in a symbolic way) a birthday party. The blue splat was koolaid that a kid dropped, the swirl under it is a party blower, the circular patter on the right were balloons and so on. If you could see my painting closely, you would notice how it's taken all these different symbols and created a more exact (to-the-point) version.

      Anyways, once again, thanks for the poem and comment! BYE!

      Delete
  7. Hi! I really liked your poem and just your whole blog in general. It was quite original. I like both of your paintings. I really like your first painting though as its making me ponder. I can tell that your second painting is a birthday party or something on the lines of that but am still trying to figure out what your first is. To me, it seems like the first painting is someone hallucinating after having too mush pop at the party. I think in real life, there was a blue juice spill next to some balloons and a pillow. Clearly though, the person sees a lot more than that. What did you try to show in your first painting?

    I think the building was originally constructed for the purpose of an arts museum as I think that it is quite a new building and they wouldn't need to change it's usage in a short period of time. I just think they choose and display the pictures at random. They just change the pictures now and then so all of their pictures can be seen.

    To finish off, your blog was really good. I was wondering though, how did you want your pictures to turn out originally and did you expect your paintings to turn out like this?

    -Iqbal

    ReplyDelete