Friday 21 December 2012

Neilson Art Centre-Rashawn


Hello fellow bloggers! My name is Rashawn, and this blog is about my experience at the Neilson Art Centre. The day started ab it slow. We had a very boring bus ride there, but the wait was worth it. This was my fourth year at the centre. It had always been fun so i knew today would be great, but I was still wondering what would happen. I was wondering what kind of pictures i was going to see. What kind of pictures i was going to make. what kind of things would i learn. 
First, we went into the gallery and walked around. I saw many great paintings. Next, we had to sit in front of our favourit. Then, after looking at our picture for a while, we went into another room to start making our own pictures. My painting wa very calm and relaxing. Because it was so calm and relaxing, I made a picture of what makes me feel relaxed. That was, the beach. I made picture of a sunset on the beach. The painting i used had many colours, so i tried to incorporate many colours into mine as well. Because it was a very relaxing picture, i named it,"Contemplation".
After we finished, we went into small groups and dicussed our pictures. Everyone's pictures were so different and unique. When we finished, we went back to make another picture. This time, we were going to use our first picture as inspiration. Mine first picture made me very happy so i decided to make a happy picture this time. I made some flowers and decorations. This time, my picture was very random. The only thing i actually came up wth was the flowers.They took a while so i didnt get to finish. Since there was a little bit of time left, i added a bunch of decorations. I liked my second picture but i liked my first one more.
When we finished we went into our gruops again to discuss our new piantings. Again, everyones were different and unique. Over all i really enjoyed thetrip and hope that i will get the chance to come again next year.

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed it too!!! It was a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rashawn,
    I'm glad that even though this was your fourth program, you were still curious to find out what would happen this time. As I wrote to another student, the program stays the same so you can see how your art and you have changed from year to year. That's why it may seem a bit boring to begin with.
    Your first picture, "Contemplation" is a wonderful composition of the sun setting over the sea. The four clouds and the birds hold the sun in symmetrical balance over the darker sea. The sun's reflection on the water leads the eye toward that vision of complete peace.
    Making the first meditative picture gave you a feeling of happiness that you wanted to express, and the second one radiates free, joyful energy. The two complement each other. The large round sun of the first picture splits up into the centres of the flowers, and the four blue clouds become the petals of the flowers. This is why the program goes through the creative process twice. So you can experience such a wonderful transformation.
    Austin
    The Milkweed Collective

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree, everyone's pictures were different and unique. That's what I really liked about going there. We could have drawn anything, and no one could judge it. I agree with your first picture. I easily see a sunset on a beach. It makes me feel relaxed as well. "Contemplation" is an interesting name. Your picture reminded me of the principles of design. Your first picture easily signifies emphasis. My eyes were suddenly "attracted" to the the vocal point (which I think was the Sun.)

    In your second picture, I really liked the blue flowers you made. They showed contrast because they were made of two opposite colors, blue and orange. The other flowers "blended" in with the background which I thought was unique. The last minute decorations you put on gave me chance to look closer at the picture. There was so much detail and effort that you put into creating this. I enjoyed the trip too. My questions is that why did you decide to let some flowers blend in with the background? My guess was that it was simply to make a person wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heyo!

    I hope you had as much fun on the trip as I did. I really thought your drawings were great! The first one seems really peaceful, with the nice sunset and the nice, symmetrical four clouds. This picture, surprisingly, is almost a mix of unity and emphasis. The sun is clearly the subject in the drawing, but all the other details makes the drawing as a whole blend together nicely. I also really liked the reflection in the waters of the sun.

    I can see very well the colours you've used from your first drawing. The white and the blue flowers, along with the pink and yellow colours in the background, with the small designs make this picture seem like a very unique, interesting, and complicated pattern.

    All in all, I hoped you had as much fun at the trip as I did and great job!

    ReplyDelete