Wednesday 19 December 2012

Neilson Art Centre-Saksham's Thoughts

      The Neilson Art Centre, a place where creativity and imagination flourish, and all negative thoughts are banished. Our class had the opportunity to go there on the 29th of November, and we were welcomed in by the staff. The staff first explained the rules of the centre, and the guided us to the gallery. In the gallery, I was surrounded by works of every kind: Portraits, Landscapes, Abstract and more. We were then asked to take a seat in front of a painting that seemed inspiring to us. We then started studying the painting, every colour, shape and texture. The staff then guided us to a room in which there were desks laid out. I took a seat then, the staff asked us to draw a picture from the picture that inspired us. In the end of all the activities, all students had produced two works, the first picture was inspired from the painting we saw in the gallery. The second picture was inspired from the picture we drew.


   After we had drawn the first picture, we were separated into groups and discussed each picture individually. The picture above shows the two pictures I drew. Though you may not be able to see them clearly the bottom picture is an empty movie theater with only one person as the audience. The movie screen shows two words "The End," and a hand that is hesitant to touch a wilting flower. Bordering the picture are two phrases "People you love, turn their back on you" and "People you hate, bring you down." Would you say the flower is going to wilt or grow back? I predict that the flower won't wilt.  The second picture shows  a train stopped at the edge of the cliff. In the middle of the picture there is a man jumping, and around the picture there is a variety of colour. Also in the middle of the abyss there is a pack of cards. I think that the pack of cards was supposed to represent gambling or risks, as the man was gambling his life, whether he would make that jump or not.  What would you say? Will he make it or will he just barely miss the mark? I predict he'll make it, but just barely, by catching the ledge with his hand rather than landing on the platform because whatever he's jumping towards, he's obviously very dedicated to it..

   Overall, the Neilson Art Centre was a great trip and I think that each class should go to broaden their minds and let their creativity blossom. I am sure everyone who visits the Neilson Art Centre will enjoy it. 








     

4 comments:

  1. Your paintings were really nice and very symbolic in a way. There were song lyrics on both of them, I believe, that was pretty cool. Anyways, cool blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saksham,
    You present the viewer with a life or death alternative--very challenging. Will the flower grow back and will the man save himself? The two pictures are very different, although linked by the figure of a lone man. Is it possible that the movie that just ended is about the scene in the second picture? Hmm! It would be interesting to see more of that movie.
    Austin
    Milkweed Collective

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sabhat and Austin.

    Sabhat
    I don't remember putting song lyrics on my second picture, though I may have wrote some on the back and forgotten about them.

    Austin
    You hit the nail right on the head. When making my second picture I didn't know how to relate it to my first, and so I started sketching around with different pieces of pastel which is what formed my rainbow-y pattern at the top right. After such I drew a train that had stopped dead in front of a cliff. I was planning to draw it in a cartoon style, with seperate panels but decided against it. I then drew the man jumping and chose on the aspect of gambling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Saksham,
    For your first drawing, I like how you compared that quote and to what you drew, which is a cool way of showing it as the hand is hesitant to touch the flower as the hand is worried the flower will betray him or bring him down as the flower is almost dead. I think that the flower will grow back as the hand chooses to trust it but only to have been poisoned (betrayed) by the flowers innocent looks. I also think that there is only one person attending the movie because everyone else cannot trust one another and for their precaution, will not go. I like how you used contrasting colours, like black and yellow to show the moral of this drawing along with the writing on the sides. The writing should have been a different colour because it could be hard to read but the dark distinguishes from the light colours.

    As for the second picture, it focused on lighter colours while the other portrait focuses on darker colours. I liked how there is similar messages comparing with the deck of cards and the train with the taking a risk/gambling message. I think the man will not make as he tries to reach the ledge of the cliff, his hand slips and the man falls to his appending doom. Nice touch with splash of orange and the deck of cards in the abyss. Overall, it is very well done Saksham. –Baseer.



    ReplyDelete