Thursday 20 December 2012

Neilson Creative Arts Centre - Tien's Thoughts

         On November 28th, our class went to the Neilson Creative Arts Centre. There, we were greeted by Austin, Brenda, Ina, and Patricia, and we all went inside of the gallery to observe paintings.

          In the gallery, we were asked to choose a painting to sit in front of, to do an exercise, and observe the painting in greater detail. My painting was a depiction of a forest during winter, the sunset, and a river. We all visualized the paintings in our heads, and examined closely.

         We then entered the studio, and were asked to make a picture inspired by the painting we chose in the gallery. My background colour was orange, and I took the sunset and river from the original picture. At first, I had no idea what to do, and I was drawing random shapes, which resulted from these strange looking beings. We were asked to look at our picture from different angles, about 10 minutes before the end of the session, and I decided to keep it flipped. I titled it, "Loss for Words", as I couldn't think of anything to say about it.

         We shared our pictures in three groups, and were asked to describe our feelings at first glance of a picture. The topics were "how you think it feels, sounds, tastes, smells". We came up with many different interpretations about each picture, and I found out what I could say about my own picture. We had time to spare, so then we did an activity where we made a story where we use all of our pictures to make a story. What do you think my picture represents?

       
        After lunch, we came back into the studio, and we were to make a second picture, using our first as an inspiration. As my first was full of nonsense, I also had no idea what to do on the second. What parts do you think I've taken from the first, and implemented into the second? My second picture was titled, "Disaster Strikes"

        We shared our pictures one last time, although without the activity.

        All in all, I had a great time, and it was a wonderful experience. I recommend going here, if you just wish to have a day of peace, away from the stressful parts of life.

~ Squiddles

5 comments:

  1. Your painting are interesting and very colourful. I like your blog by the way. It's really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tien,
    You ask how the second picture relates to the first one. The overall design is quite similar, so the first one seems like a preparatory study for the second one, which is a really fine picture. The cloud-like shapes above, and the earth-like shape below frame a space in which there is a mysterious striped figure, a black shape, and other shapes that may be characters in a story.
    Austin
    Milkweed Collective

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the title "Loss for Words"! The orange being on the right reminds me of the purple elephants from Winnie the Pooh... I believe they were called heffalumps. The green being on the left reminds me of a grasshopper, being chased by a playful heffalump as the sun sets. The heffalump thinks it's a game, but the grasshopper thinks that he's about to become dinner. Your picture simply represents the differentiation in opinions, as to what things are seen as. One person may see one thing, while another person may see the opposite!

    Why did you choose to flip your first picture? And what would you have done differently if you could start your first picture all over again?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Tien, for your first drawing, I feel your title is a misnomer. Why? A picture is worth a thousand words. I think your picture represents adventure because of the moon heading toward the pink elephant, humming a song, so he could get help to go back in space as the night is getting closer. If you turn this picture upside it looks completely different as the two figures are going to be struck by a meteor. And if turn this picture to the side, it looks like the moon figure is throwing his head at the pink elephant and how he setup a tornado as a shield. My favourite part of this drawing is the pink elephant as you can imagine it to be anything you want it to be. The setting for this drawing is calm due to the light orange background. This would sound like the pink elephants humming and the moons every step. Finally I disagree with what you said about this drawing being nonsense, because this drawing can be anything you want it to be as you don’t know what this is. What do you see if you turn the picture to the side/upside-down, and what might be happening?
    For your 2nd drawing I agree with your title Disaster Strikes as there is an island and in front of it a red tornado and a volcano to spell certain doom to anyone nearby. I think your picture represents horror because of 2 natural disasters shown. Are there any other words to describe this picture? There is a triangle at the left side so I can assume that is a shark in the ocean. I think you took the semi-circle ground from the first drawing and put in the second drawing by drawing an island. Also I found it cool how you used mostly opposite colors for your drawings. E.g. Orange and blue background. I liked how you added darker colours at the top to emphasize the volcano. If you turn this picture upside-down, you can see a giant sun crashing into a new land. If you turn this picture sideways you can see a sun sucking up a huge rock. My favourite part of this picture is the volcano sticking up making it look fierce some. Overall these were very cool drawings, Nice work Tien! Baseer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Tien,
    I’d like to begin by saying that your drawings are great! I like your second one more so, although I am not entirely sure why. Which is your favourite, and do you know why?
    From your first picture I see two children, not human children but two aliens from different planets. I see the first child; let’s call her Zuza, singing. She’s singing a song more beautiful than words can express. This song is so beautiful that it refuses to be only heard, it must also be seen. So as the notes leave her lips they transform into tiny bluish-greenish dots that are pulled higher and higher by the wind.
    Her friend; let’s call him Alexander, he is dancing. He is dancing very gracefully, and his tail is almost like a separate being. It has a mind of his own and does the opposite of everything Alexander does. But despite of its rebellious nature, when they dance together, there is not a single thing that could be edited. They show perfection at its best. If I could choose a title for this picture, I would name it “Perfection”.
    From your first picture I see a tiger that is standing on top of the sun, dominating it. I think that it is on the same side as the cotton candy at the top of the page. The tiger and cotton candy have joined forces and with their power have captured the sun. Then, from their high stand point, they become arrogant and try to take over the waters of the universe; little do they know that there is a shark in the water. And everyone knows shark triumphs tigers, cotton candy, and the sun. So the shark claims victory with ease and restores order to the universe.
    I think that the part you brought from your first picture to your second was the sun. Although in your first picture it is at the top shining down, in the second it is beneath the tiger. If I could choose a title for this picture, I would name it “Power”.
    All in all, I think that you had awesome pictures and an awesome blog! I can’t wait to se more of your work.
    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete