Thursday 20 December 2012

Neilson Creative Art Center - Joshua


Well, the Neilson Creative Art Centre was definitely a very enjoyable, fun, and easy going trip. But one thing I always wonder is, how in the world do they make up that program? Any thoughts from you guys? I think that it took many weeks of trial and error. Anyways.... the trip was really fun, you got to make art,, and we got a chance to hang out with classmates, and through sharing, learn more about them.

After a long, but fun bus ride we got to the Art Centre. The staff greeted us, and we had a pleasant surprise drop in from Ming Wei. I infer that it was pretty embarrassing for him when he found out that we were leaving and he was still at home. The staff outlined some rules, and we then proceeded into the Art Gallery to look at some pictures. We then did a fun activity, mimicking shapes, creating scenarios and overall, opening our imagination. We were then instructed to pick a picture and sit in front of it.


The picture I picked was a sub Arctic scene. There was lots of snow, a couple of trees, something that looked like Caribou running in the distance, and an orgaeish-yellowish light coming from behind the tress. Anyways, the picture I drew after that was supposed to be inspired off the picture we chose. But, my picture looks nothing like it, but it does have a few similarities. We had to pick a colour to cover the background with, so I picked the orgaeish-yellowish colour from behind the tree. We also had to pick one shape from the it and use it on our picture. I picked the biggest tree and put it on. I just kept on drawing whatever my heart told me to draw and VOILA, it's done!! My art piece has no name, and I have no idea what in the world it is. What do you think it is? And based on what you think it is, what would you name it?


My second art piece was inspired off of my first. We had to pick one shape from our first picture, and put it in our second, and pick two random colours that we like. I I picked the colours yellow and light blue because I think they go well together. What colours do you think go well together? The shape was the lighting bolt in the centre of my first picture. Can you see it? I recreated it multiple times in my second picture. At first I thought my second picture would be “EPIC.” But I ended up not liking it. So in the last five minutes I scribbled over it, and drew some big, random black sign. At first it reminded me of the swastika, but I changed it so it did not end up looking like it. As with the first picture, I have no idea what it is, or what it's called. Any ideas?

After finishing each picture we got a chance to talk about them. Through this we learned a lot about our classmates, and ourselves. For example, I like ABSTRACT art!!! I infer that if we did this everyday, we would learn so much about ourselves, and so much about our classmates. Even doing this once a month would be great. Doing this also helps us broaden our imagination, which by doing often, would be beneficial.

Until next time, BYE.

7 comments:

  1. I like your paintings, they're very open ended and the fact that thy don't have a name is mysterious and cool. I like the top one, because it's so colourful and extremely unique. Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Josh,
    You wonder what the heavy black design might be. It seems to me that it's a strongly symmetrical form to balances the highly asymmetrical shapes and colours of the background. The two together create a tension that makes the picture very exciting to look at.
    I also appreciate when you speculate what it would be like to do a process like this very often. Actually, many of the staff will tell you that they do the program often for the very reason you suggest, namely, because that is how we learn about ourselves and each other and expand our imaginations.
    Austin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I guess it is cool to look at. And I could see how it balances. THANKS

      Delete
  3. Good evening Gaz. First of all, to answer your question on how they might've created the program; my theory is that they were just throwing ideas around and they decided on this idea. I like the energetic review you gave of the program by using exclamation marks to put feeling into it. What surprised me was the difference in your two pictures. The first one seemed quite boring and bland to me and quite frankly, I couldn't even tell how it relates to your original painting. But then I looked at your second painting and it just leaped out at me (figuratively). Your colours were bold and bright, and the black design in the middle just gives emphasis on your painting. If I were to give a name for your paintings I would call the first one "Dud" and the second one "BOOM"! Overall, it seems like you enjoyed your trip quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all your comments. I gives me a new perspective on my pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joshua,

    Overall, your blog was very well-written. As soon as I read it, I can tell that you wrote it. I’m not entirely sure if that is always a good thing, but this time it was.
    Anyways, to answer your first question, the Neilson Creative Arts Centre has been using the same program (more or less) for the past 10 or so years. The program was very well designed to be able to work for so long. Every time I go there, I experience new things.
    I believe I remember what picture you chose in the art gallery. I was wondering why I didn’t choose that picture to be honest, it captivated me as well. In your first picture, I can see lightning strike a desert with tumbleweed. On the right side is the start of a forest, waiting to be explored. The lightning had just passed through the forest, leaving the trees damp and the creatures scurrying to hide. Meanwhile, in the desert, there’s just a barren wasteland. Nobody has bothered to explore it, so it’s just a bunch of wasted land. From what I see, this picture could be called “Barren” or “Lighting Strikes Everywhere You Look” (maybe something less cliché)
    I think that the colours yellow and purple go together the best, and they provide a very good background. Red and green are pretty nice as well.
    I would have liked your picture if you didn’t put the giant black shape over it, but now that I think about it, that black shape adds something to it. I can see a very colourful background (that has no resemblance to a lightning bolt, sadly) and in the centre, there’s a mysterious black shape that is just there. I would call it “Standing Out” or “Randomness All Around”.
    I agree we should do this once a month, because it really opens up our minds and our imagination.
    Thanks for your blog, it made me think of some things in a different way.

    ~Adrian

    ReplyDelete