Thursday 20 December 2012

Neilson Creative Arts Centre-Harsimran's thoughts

  On November 29th, 2012, our class had a trip to the Neilson Creative Art Centre. It was my first time going there so I wondered what it would be like. Once we arrived we were greeted by the people that worked there (Austin, Brenda, Ina, and Patricia.) Was it going to be a fun trip?

  We went into the gallery and looked at a few paintings that were displayed. Then we were asked to find a painting that we thought was inspiring. We sat in front of the painting and visualised it in our heads. There was a special technique that was spoken while we visualised it. We then went into the studio. We were given a huge piece of paper and pastels. We were supposed to choose one colour for the background. I chose white because my picture was based on a snowy background. We had the choice of making the picture abstract or not. It was basically drawing what you wanted. I drew trees, bushes, some interestin footsteps, a horizon and much more. It was to signify what it looks like in the Arctic. That's why I decided to name my picture "An Evening in the Arctic." It was a fun experience. After finishing our pictures, we got cookies. Who dosn't like cookies after working?  We then went back into the studio. We got into groups and discussed or pictures. We all guessed at each others pictures. I found some of my peers' pictures very interesting. I described my picture as a real life picture. What does my picture make you think of?

  After the "presentation", we had lunch. So far it was going great. I had seen great artwork and got to make my own as well. After lunch we had a short presentation in the gallery, but soon after we went back into the gallery. This time we created another picture. This time I drew a picture that showed continuation of the footsteps in my first picture. In this picture I drew a cabin, with trees, rocks, and more footsteps. But this time it had a mystery. There was a pair of footsteps coming into the cabin from both sides. During the discussion after creating our seconds picture, one of my peers infered that it was Santa Clause coming from the other side. Who do you think was in there? That was why I named my picture "Cabin Mystery." We then said bye to the staff, and went back to school.

  I enjoyed my first time being there. I feel that everyone should have that time to just be creative. At the end, it was a fun trip. 

7 comments:

  1. Yes I agree, it was a fun trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog, I remember you were in our group. It was funny because you kept referring to your self in third person by saying "I believe the artist was trying to make footprints" whereas you were the artist. nice pictures, it was nice how you left them mysterious...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harsimran,
    Your pictures have a strong style that unites them into two scenes of a mystery. The first picture is like a detail of the second picture. Perhaps you need to solve the mystery by drawing a third picture. The third picture might have an even wider perspective?
    Austin
    Milkweed Collective

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I agree. Although, I forgot to mention the fun group activities we did in the morning. We got into groups and made these different, I should say "poses" that symbolized a principal of art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To answer your question about "what it reminds me of", I have written you a short story:

    Hopefully you remember Brian's drawing of Mitch the Octopus... because your drawings somehow make me think of him! In the first picture, Mitch is in the cabin, as he plans his vicious attack against his arch enemy, Frosty the snowman. He plans on stealing Frosty's top hat and obtaining it's magical powers by wearing it! I think the footprints in the second pictures are Frosty's. He has been running away from Mitch the **floating** Octopus! He's ran off to the left, where we can't see. Unfortunately, right next to the Arctic, there is a hot, desert! (curse you, global warming!) Frosty has melted away and Mitch took his top hat. Brian's picture shows the continuing story!

    What were your intentions in terms of the purple part of the sky? Did this represent something to you, or was it just a random, unplanned choice? Why did you choose purple? I'd love to know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Harsimran!

    When I read your blog, I thought it was really great and wanted to answer some of your questions.

    You asked, "What does my picture remind you of?" Well, when I look at that picture, with the nice horizon and the mysterious footsteps, it reminds me of my own story that I think of everyday. It's a story of a man, who's all alone, and does nothing but walk, up and down the same path every single day. Can you imagine how you would be feeling if you were the guy? I'd feel pretty lonely, but also very calm and everything around me would have a tranquil feeling. Your other question,"Who do you think was in there?"was what I thought a very tricky question, because at first, from what I inferred,I thought the same person went out the other way! However,when you mentioned that it was actually two different footsteps coming into one cabin,I immediately thought of a burglar coming in and a big fight occurring. I also inferred that there was no footsteps leading out of the cabin. Does that mean they both live there? Or they're magical spirits, and the haunters of that cabin who locked themselves in, waiting for a weary traveler to accidentally come into the cabin, where they'll be waiting to...give the traveler a cup of tea,and have a nice chat! Haha!I don't know, but I just could have nailed it!

    Finally, I wanted to ask a little more about your pictures. I inferred that your pictures both had a different horizon color.Was it done on purpose, just to show different times of the day? Or was there a different reason? Also, what do YOU think is in that cabin? From what I can infer, judging how there's no door, and nothing beyond where there should have been a door, I'm thinking nothing at all!If you can answer, that'd be great,because I'm dying to know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Harsimran,
    I’d like to start by saying that your blog was really well written! My favourite picture that you made was the first one. I like the simplicity of it. Which is your favourite, and why?
    Your first picture makes me wonder what surrounds this serene scene, I mean, for all we know, it could be a fiery dragon, a ferocious ogre, or maybe even a pink horned unicorn! The possibilities are endless.
    I think that this was an abandoned cabin, left in the middle of nowhere. For years it was left in oblivion, until a group five best friends went hiking through the town of “Shlarple,” where this cabin was. After four hours of walking, finally, the group grew weary, and also realized that they were lost. While in search for a place to rest, one of them noticed this cabin, and they decided to approach it. When they were closer, they began to contemplate whether going into an abandoned cabin in the middle of nowhere was a good idea. With much hesitation, they decided to go in. Did they find dusty furniture? Precious gems? Corpses? No, they found it to be virtually empty, except for a single glass of water in the center, or so they thought…
    All in all, I really enjoyed looking at your pictures and reading your blog! I can’t wait to see more of your work.

    ReplyDelete