Wednesday 30 January 2013

Neilson Creative Art Center


Hey guys.

          On November 29th, 2012, our class 7/8G went on a class trip to the Neilson Creative Art Centre. We took a long and tedious TTC bus ride there in the cold. We took a walk that lasted a few minutes to the centre itself. The building itself looked great!
          When we walked in, we were told to take off our jackets and put them in the coat room. We performed an exercise which included reaching up into the air and putting some 'imagination' into our heads. How bizarre does that sound?
          We then walked into the art gallery. This contained dozens of artwork that looked amazing. Did you see all of it? We were told to pick the artwork we liked best and study it. We were then brought to another room where we had to colour and draw an imitation of the artwork we chose, using the same colours. I used the colours orange, purple, green, red, yellow, and blue in my drawing. I thought the painting I studied resembled a waterfall of multiple colours, so I decided to draw a river.
          After finishing, we brought our drawings back to the art gallery to share it with our assigned groups. Some people thought my drawing was the tentacles of an octopus, while others thought it was a bunch of cacti. What did you think it was?
          Soon we ate lunch and began our second session. This time, we took our drawings from the morning and examined it, choosing colours and using them in our second drawing. I used the idea that someone gave me that my first drawing was an octopus, and integrated it into my second drawing. This time, I decided to be a bit random with my drawing and made a scene of a park, with a floating octopus in a top hat holding a door. The feedback I got was amazing! People gave me stories like how the door was the doorway to his soul, and how the hat belonged to Frosty the snowman.
          I had a great time during this trip, and at the end we even got freezies! I would totally recommend this trip, as it allows you to get your imagination going with ease.

2 comments: