Tuesday 29 January 2013

Neilson Art Centre-


         **AHEM**. Well hello there! My name's Chelsea Santoo, and I'm a 14 year old girl. Or should I say, woman (that one was for you, Susan B. Anthony!)... Recently my class went to the magical place of dreams and unicorns (NOTE: unicorn sighting is not guaranteed) that we call the Neilson Creative Art Centre. It looks like a tiny building you would not normally notice, but when you get in there? WOW! Someone really knows how to maximize space! ...Just kidding. Well not really.
                Ok, enough of the jokes - let's get serious (...well, to the best of my ability). I had been to the Neilson Creative Art Centre a few times before, and from what I remember, the program hasn't changed! Still as fun as ever (I believe this refers to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it?")!  From the time we walked in, we started using our imaginations. A gallery walked started the morning, followed by choosing a painting or drawing that we were most attracted to. I chose an exquisite picture that combined paint and textiles to create a city scene. I was instantly dumbfounded by a black and white circle, with many more circles inside of it. It seemed to never end.... Inception, maybe?
                When we were told to choose a shape from the painting/drawing to draw, it was pretty obvious to me that the circle would be my choice. I used my oil pastels to draw it right in the centre of the page. From there, I worked outwards, drawing parts of circles coming out of it. I thicken the lines of each and used a variety of colours, but it still didn't fit my liking. I chose to try something new - a brand new technique (well, to me, at least)! I started to use my finger to pull the oil pastel into the centre. I LOVED IT. Now, please understand that I love art. I love creativity. But I've never been a fan of oil pastels. But this technique - it changed my mind completely! Some people said my drawing looked like a eyeball. Others said it reminded them of a tornado. And me? Well, I see the inside of a complicated lock - something that a spy would have to figure out to stop the bomb (like James Bond!). To me, it feels mysterious and adventurous. What do you see when you look at the picture, and how does it make you feel?



     My second picture was completely different. It was far more complicated and "fanceh" (quote, Saksham Aggrawal), but I actually didn't like it as much as the first! Although it some people were astonished by the complexity of the drawing, I found that it wasn't very risky. I had done pictures like it before, so it was nothing new.  The first drawing was edgy and exciting, while this one was flowing and calm... well, it was to me! Some people said that each colour represented a different alien planet. Others focused on the directions of the arrows. Someone brought to my attention that they ALL pointed to the right. Why do you think they all go this why? I'm not even sure!






Certain people really surprised me! I learned that we are all artists - we all just love different styles. Even when you don't think you're good at something, there's always hope! It definitely helped to have the  leaders there to remind us that there is no wrong answer in art. Which reminds me, special shout out to Ina and Austin, who have put together the whole program! Thanks!
               
Well that's all for now folks, have a scrumdiddlyumptious day!  :) 







4 comments:

  1. Hey Chelsea! I love your pictures. I can totally see the circle being a difficult lock for some one like James Bond to unlock. I was wondering. Why did you pick a circle to be your shape? When I see your first picture, I feel curios. It emphasizes the black dot in the middle, and your eyes follow the rings into the circle. I was curios about what the black dot is. What is it? Is something there? I think your picture looks like a galaxy, and the dot is like a planet. I also wanted to know what was the picture you used as inspiration like?

    I really like your second picture. It's very interesting. For some reason it reminds me of the wizard of oz. The orange reminds of Dorothy and her dog. I think his name is Toto or Todo. The yellow reminds me of the yellow brick road. The green reminds me of the city they go to. The purple reminds me of the witch. The blue looks like the ocean. When i think of the ocean, i think of boats, and explorers and adventurers, which reminds me of there travel to see the wizard. When I look at it, the song they sing gets stuck in my head. Were off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of oz! Overall I think both of your pictures are wonderful and very unique

    ReplyDelete
  2. The-Very-Artistic-Chelsea-Who-is-Not-Artistically-Challenged Question/Answer Session

    "Welcome to the not-so-late night show with Tashifa Imtiaz. Today's guest is a very artistic person, that makes all of us (not just me) jealous- by her art, of course.Ha ha, I am joking. Today we will answer the important questions she asked us, and I will give her the answers that the community (me) has come to. Please give a round of applause to Chelsea through your computer screen!"

    *Chelsea walks in*

    OK, now let me cut the act. I love your art, and as I have studied "Artistic Challenge-ness," and have earned a degree on the art of failing at art, I know for sure- you are not artistically challenged. That art is absolutely fabulous! Stupendous! (Bigger words for awesome)
    So intriguing....ohhhhhhhhh.....ahhhhh....ohhhhhhh...ahhhhhh...(so on)
    Now, when I look at the first one...I'm swept off my feet, thrown in a river, fall off a cliff, ride an elephant, go skydiving, and eat apples. That is how amazing it is! Do not question my logic, I do have a severe medical condition! Now, it reminds me of the universe, the colours....the shading/ blending....the black dot in the middle....the colours...
    Especially the way everything circles around one object, a black object. Sort of like how in Science class, we learned that light causes colours, and without light everything would be pure, endless, darkness. Do you think this image has an endless, deep meaning of the ways of life and a cure to all evil? No. But it is pretty cool. I just feel so lost in it, and sort of curious to see what exactly is inside that black middle. It shines like a star, but is pure black....ohhhhhh...O.O I guess in a way the universe is a puzzle, that humans try to figure out...that's deep. Now moving on, because we can talk about the ways of the universe and your painting forever...but my hands will get tired of typing...so, first painting CHECK!

    Now, the second piece of art blew me a way too...but in a different way, I was blown into a tornado, flying in the sky, scared a few ducks, and then crashed into a plane...that's where it ends. I think your painting was....hmmm...very detailed and complicated. It leads the viewer to look more carefully at the work. It amazing...just like you. It doesn't really remind me of anything..which is odd...but actually it reminds me of many different worlds that are side by side. All of them a different colour, and yet flow in to one another. It's is truly a work of excellence. I personally believe it was a bit of a risk as you say, but if you have done it many times before I see. I actually think that most people pointed to the right because of at the bottom right corner, that large swivel, attracted attention. As well as it seems that more activity occurs in the right side of the painting. Hmmmm....both your painting could lead me to talk on and on but no...it's time to go. I must ask you two questions though, do you think that somehow, subconsciously, these pictures have spoken about your views on things and the template of your personality? What attracted you so much to the CIRCLE?

    Now, we got to get going. This is Tashifa Imtiaz on the not-so-late-night-show! Our guest today was Chelsea Santoo, who did not talk at all today. So, my artistically challenged friends, here is a girl or woman should I say, who is amazing at art. I hope you find her as inspiration to get over your artistic fears and fails. Together we can find a cure. *Fake cries*

    So, bye bye!

    P.S Did you know I spoke this in a very deep voice, that probably doesn't suite me? :D






    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought our maximum was 2 paragraphs. It was still a great comment though!;)

      Delete
    2. Rashawn, many people did NOT do 2 paragraphs. I found it hard to explain my thoughts in just two...i guess I just got caught up i the words...as did others!

      Delete